Vizag also called as Visakhapatnam, shortened and anglicized Visakha/Vizag or Vasaka is a major port and the second largest city in the state of Andhra Pradesh and the third largest city on the east coast of India after Kolkata and Chennai, with a population of approximately 1.3 million. The city is nestled among the hills of the Eastern Ghats and faces the Bay of Bengal to the east. It is the administrative headquarters of Visakhapatnam district and is also home to the Eastern Naval Command of the Indian Navy. Visakhapatnam is often referred to as The Jewel of The East Coaster The City of Destiny. Vizag is sometimes referred to as the "Goa of the East Coast." Just like its west coast counterpart, it has beautiful virgin beaches, late-rite hillocks, smooth roads and stunning landscape. Health-tourism is a fast developing industry. Visakhapatnam is variously referred to as Jewel on the Coramandel Coast or Steel city.
Visakhapatnam (Vizag) is second largest city in Andhra Pradesh with an area of 550 km². It is primarily an industrial city, apart from being a port city. It is also home to the Eastern Naval Command. Visakhapatnam has seen rapid development in the past decade.
The Visakhapatnam Urban Development Authority (VUDA) will get a new master plan consequent to the increase in its purview from 170 km² to 550 km². The earlier master plan was approved by the government in 2006. VUDA’s jurisdiction has been expanded in mid-2008.
The city sometimes goes by its now mostly defunct colonial British name, Waltair. During the colonial era, the city's hub was the Waltair railway station, and that part of the city is still called Waltair. It is sometimes referred to as the "City of Destiny".
Visakhapatnam is home to several state-owned heavy industries, one of the most advanced steel plants and has one of the country's largest ports and its oldest shipyard. It has the only natural harbor on the eastern coast of India.
- Visakhapatnam Railway Station is a junction and Divisional Headquarters. It is on Chennai-Kolkata broad guage line and the entire track is fully electrified
- One of the highest Cargo Handler in Indian Railways
- Duvvada is nearest Rail Head to VSEZ with Railway Siding Facility
- Visakhapatnam Port is located within easy access to all south-east Asian destinations.
- Visakhapatnam is on East-Coast of India on Bay of Bengal and is having all weather natural Harbour with 15 berths inside and 7 outside
- Accommodates Post Panamax Main-Line Container Ships
- Highest throughput among major Ports
- A dedicated container Berth has been launched in private participation
- Well connected to all domestic destinations
- Regular flights to Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad and Kolkata
- APSTC is the custodian for Import/Export Cargo by Air